Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Journal Entry(Lila)

Dear Diary,

I am feeling down today----- stressed out. I went to offer flowers in the morning to the rock without making breakfast for my sisters first. How could I be so selfish. Dad's still the same, drinking toddy excessively, still dumping himself into a corner in Mum's room, giving her room an awful stench of alcohol. Can't he be more productive, go find some work? Or at least try? Mum's seriously ill, no one knows what is wrong. She is getting weaker and weker, how I wish she could recover. It would be great to see her offering flowers and red kum-kum powder to the wock by the sea once again! If only we were more wealthy, we brush our teeth with twigs, I have heard of rich people brushing their teeth with toothbrushes. I can't expect much of Hari, it is quite obvious that I can't expect him to earn like a grown-up man. When he brought up a suggestion of following the de Silvas back to Bombay the next time we see them, I was suprised in a negative way. Although I want him to earn money, I do not want him to leave us to provide for us. We are running low on money, what can we do?! Hari spoke about an upcoming factory, but when will that happen? We can't just keep waiting! If there are hundreds of factories, then it might take years, or even decades to build the factories! Ad even if Hari can work there, what if the work is too dangerous? I do not want to lose my brother while trying to earn more money. If he works in the factories, does that mean that we have to wait for so many years? And I think they will be hiring professionals, not uneducated vilagers like us. Dear Diary, what shall I do? Well, I can only hope for the best and better. Good night.

yours faithfully,
Lila

2 comments:

  1. I do agree that it is very selfish of Lila's father to be drunk the whole day and refuse to go to work. As an adult, how could he not let his child have a chance of studying and also, let them go out to work on their own. I am utterly ashamed of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that what you have said is true and even now, this type of situation still happens around the world which is quite sad.

    ReplyDelete