Monday, January 31, 2011

Chinese name.

Well, I do not really know the significance of my Chinese name. But I know that my Chinese name contains the Chinese word "citizens". And my surname means something like "To contribute to the people, bring happiness, prosperity..." Perhaps my grandfather who gave me this name wanted me to do something for the people around me, most probably, he wanted me to bring happiness and do something for the people. Currently, I do not consider these Chinese characters as part of my identity. And that is because I feel that I am not mature enough to do what I think is expected of me.
Most of the chinese have meanings behind their names which their grandparents/ancestors hope they would live up to. In our everyday lives when we write our chinese names on chinese worksheets during lessons, very few of us actually stop to look over our chinese names, very few of us are curious about the meanings of our chinese names.
But if we pause for a while, to look at our chinese names, and find out the meanings, perhaps it could contribute to our identity. The reason why we got our chinese names is because we are expected to be of good character.

No comments:

Post a Comment