Sunday, April 3, 2011

Online Lesson #4 Term 2

Racial slurs are foul words which are used to discriminate against a certain group of people, such as calling Negroes "niggers" and calling overly tanned whites "beach niggers". When racial slurs are used, the person who uses them says it in an arrogant tone and causes the person whom he or she is talking to to feel insulted, insignificant, and a thorn in other people's flesh. The person who says it is belittling the other. Because no one can choose their physical appearance and they are not the person who created Man, no one has the right to insult others, thus I feel that racial slurs should be illegal.

LA-ACE
When I was in Primary 6, there was this guy in my class, who came from Thailand and was quite tanned. He was well-versed in Chinese and liked studying a lot. He often spoke Chinese to his friends. There was this group of good friends in my class who called him "Chinese nigger" repeatedly. And everytime they say it, they say it in an extremely arrogant tone, in their eyes, there is this look of hatred, this look of arrogance. It happened at the beginning of the year. The boy's name was Tristan. I took pity on him, because everytime someone mocked at him, he looked so demoralised, so upset.
One week later, during recess, I spoke to him out of curiousity,"Are you alright?" He did not reply, he kept quiet, and walked towards the field. Following him, I was wondering if he found me annoying. Suddenly, I saw tears in his eyes. He turned to me,"What should I do?!" He started crying, he cried out,"They just keep insulting me, I had enough of this! I am tired of putting up a strong front, I am tired of acting strong!" I never thought he was actually so hurt, patting his back, I told him,"Have you not spoken to the teacher?"
He told me that he was afraid that the teacher would not care.
Later that day, I took a video of the group of students mocking him, and showed it to the teacher. It was the least I could do for my classmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment