Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blog Prompt #7 (Expository)

I would not have loaned Bassanio the money if I were Antonio. This is due to his sly actions, and also because he seems to be desperate.
When Gratiano, Lorenzo, Salerio and Solanio left, leaving Bassanio and I alone, I asked Antonio about the lady whom he promised to tell me of. He described her as rich, and had wondrous virtues. And at the end, he dropped a hint, saying "Oh my Antonio, had I but the means to hold a rival place with one of them." By saying this, he is dropping a hint to me that he is not rich enough to be as good as one of the men who want to be Portia's life partner, and that he wants my help. If he truly treats me as a friend, why does he need to be so indirect? Why does he still need to beat about the bush? Since we are friends, we can be more informal. Why don't he just tell me directly that he needs help? Since I am not sure about how he feels about our friendship, why then must I lend him money? How can I trust that he will not betray me? Since there is some doubts about our relationship and his actions, I cannot trust that he will return me the sum of money if I do lend money to him.
Regarding his actions, he promised to meet me, to tell me about the woman whom he is interested in. Then he describes her as if she is a fairy, to me. After then he drops a hint, asking me to loan him some money. He once portrayed Portia as "a lady richly left, and she is fair, and fairer than that word, of wondrous virtues." Is Bassanio getting desperate? He wants me to lend him money, so that he might be able to hold a candle to the other men who are also seeking Portia's hand in marriage, and it seems that Portia is quite a rich lady. The purpose of all these actions seems to be because of money. It seems like an investment for his comfort in the sense that he will use the money I lend him to lay a bait for Portia, then when he gains Portia's hand in marriage, he will go after Portia's fortune. As his friend, I cannot let him take the wrong path in life. If he marries Portia for money, both of them will not gain happiness. He is making the wrong decision. Thus if I lent him the money, he would do the wrong thing and would result in many complications.
Therefore, lending money to Bassanio might be a bad thing to me, Portia, and him. His actions and words have led me to that conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment