Friday, August 19, 2011

Home Run

Yes. Another movie of Jack Neo's! Just like Money No Enough, I feel that Home Run is very stressful to watch. But I feel that it is more touching because the characters are mostly young teens, and since I am one too, I can relate better to that.

The movie was mainly about a brother losing her sister's school shoes. And throughout the whole movie, he and his sister was searching desperately for the lost shoes. Everyday, they shared the same pair of shoes. His sister had to rush home to pass the shoes to him and then he would run to school. There were many obstacles. Once, while his sister was running, the shoes dropped into a drain, and then the drained washed it away. But one of her brother's friends retrieved it for her. There was another time, when the same thing occurred, but she was more quick-witted. She threw her heavy bag ahead of the shoes, so as to prevent the shoe from being washed into the lake. The brother was often late for school as a result of the loss of his sister's shoe. The sister was often scolded by her teacher. The brother, in order to help her sister, did homework for his fellow kampong boys, so that they would provide soccer shoes for them and a shoe for his sister. Well, that was the only way to help his sister because they had no money and the leader of those kampong boys' clique was the richest person in the village. When the main character's friends tried to negotiate with those proud group of boys, they called off the deal. In the end, the brother, Ah Kun, participated in the national cross-country run so that he can win the 3rd price, a pair of new shoes, for his sister. Once, he was trapped in a thick puddle of sticky mud, but he persevered and breaked free of the sticky stuff and ran as fast as he could. He got 1st, while the richest guy in his village got 3rd. When he tried exchanging his medal for the pair of shoes, the gang of proud kampong boys threw the shoes into the lake, because in the end, their leader still lost and they always thought that Ah Kun wanted to participate just to challenge their leader and mock at him. Then, Ah Kun and his sister sat by the drain, thinking about how to solve the problem and get shoes for his sister. Then, 2 pairs of shoes were put beside him. He looked up, and saw a well-dressed young man walking away. It was that rich kid. He was going to England, and he just dropped by to say goodbye.

As a teenager myself, I know that there are many gangs, and groups of people, who like to hang out together. In this movie, I feel that it was usual that gangs often have strained relationships. What I felt so sad about was when Ah Kun lost his sister's shoes. After a long time, they found the shoes at the village's rubbish dump. But... there were riots. They grabbed hold of one shoe, but the other shoe was held by a person who was being strangled by another man. Then the shoe was torn up before their eyes. At that time, I really felt the pain. They tried so hard to keep the matter from their parents, so that their parents won't worry. But then again, it is hard to solve the problem as the problem was getting bigger and bigger. I liked Ah Kun's perseverance during the race. In a cross country run, I often just give up halfway and start walking. But he fought so hard, with his shoes which were in a bad condition, and when his shoes got stuck in the thick mud, he ran to the finishing line without stopping, without his shoes. When the movie was ending, his clique of friends passed the old pair of shoes to him. Because they dug it out for him. I felt very touched, because friends are actually willing to do so much for each other. And sacrifice so much. The incident of losing the shoes was in a way, similar to an incident of mine where I lost my wallet. It had my whole week's of money. And I had to pay 55 cents for a bus trip. Thus I had to skip lunch, and pay $2.20 cents for transport daily. Well, that time, I got off the bus, and was walking towards the school gate, when I realised I hadn't my wallet with me. Then I took another bus, and the bus captain helped me to catch up with the bus ahead, which I was taking just now. After boarding, I searched the entire bus, but to no avail. When the bus service terminated at the interchange, I searched the whole bus 3 times. No signs of my wallet. There, I stood in a corner of the interchange, my mind went blank. An old man tapped my shoulder. He passed $7.50 to me. I looked at him, I declined. But he pushed the money into my hands. He said in chinese,"You sitll need money for lunch, and to go back to school." I shed tears. I lost a value of 11 dollars in my Ez-link card and 30 dollars cash. And it was really warm to have someone there for you. Well, I tried to keep the matter from my parents. I didn't want them to worry. I brought my own biscuits to school, and instant porridge from home. I felt really hungry. Some days, I didn't even eat the whole day. At last, I told my parents. They were upset for a while.

Well, I felt really touched when I watched the movie, because it was as if I was relating it to my past experience. I didn't have to run like Ah Kun, but I had to starve and go hungry. I had to suffer, like him and his sister. It was as if I was reliving old memories. Fantastic movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment