Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Money No Enough" Movie Reflection

Well, I was kind of bored an hour before it struck midnight. Thus, I decided to watch a movie on the internet. As I like Singapore movies, I searched on the internet for Singapore movies and "Money No Enough" popped up. It was around 2 hours long. The first half of the movie was rather hilarious, however it was rather stressful to watch the second half. But I am not one who watches a movie halfway. It was about a family of 3 sons with their wives and children as well as an old mother, overcoming various obstacles. The main theme included filial piety, family bonds, and money. Since the part on family bonds is more stressful to speak of, I shall start on the part about money first.

The three sons faces ups and downs in their finance. The younger son was rather successful selling health supplements, the older son was more involved in properties, and constantly earns money from the en-blocs of buildings. The oldest son was not very well-to-do, until the youngest son made him a manager under the youngest son with the investment of ten thousand dollars, and then the oldest son became more financially able. In the movie, the 3 sons became extremely engrossed in making money that they often neglected the people around them. Then a friend of the youngest son wreaked havoc and ruined the health supplement business as a certain substance was added which made people fall ill. His name was Tan Guan Sai. The brothers needed money desperately. A hundred thousand dollars was needed to pay Guan Sai, the older son needed to pay his clients money since the lawyer took the client's money and fled. In times of all these desperation, their mother sacrificed her money, and the money intended for her funeral, to help her 3 sons. In the end, she did not even keep money for herself. She even resorted to begging money from people eating in a food court in order to ease her sons' problems. In many of the scenes, the 3 sons were often seen speaking on the phone to clients. But, they neglected the people around them. The youngest son treated his wife badly, not caring for her. The older son tries to be nice, but his career still seems to be the priority. But the eldest son is an exception---he worked not just for comfort, but to cater to his mother's needs too.

In the movie, the bond between the 3 brothers seemed to be the strongest to me. They met up often and when they face difficulties, they help each other, and things are always discussed. However, the disaster arrived when their mother grew very old and her body started to lose control. The mother often passed urine without being aware, and sometimes it often soils the bed and the floor. Sadly, the family members started to find her troublesome. They changed the bed sheet more than 6 times a day. And one day, they discussed it. So, each of them took turns to take care of the mother. I really pitied the mother when she was living with the second eldest son. Her granddaughter, Stella, often complained that her grandmother stinks and that her grandmother embarrasses her when her friends visited for projects. The mother of Stella agreed in a similar sense, because she often invited friends over. In the end, she was left sleeping outside the toilet. She put up a strong front, and when her son asked her if she feels uncomfortable there, she even replied in Hokkien,"No, I am not particular. It is good here, very windy." When her son, his wife, and Stella went out to catch a movie, she started crying. At this moment, I felt like dropping tears. It reminded me of my own grandmother. Whenever she visited us, she always eats very little and encourages her grandchildren to eat more. Luckily, my mother always gives her more food. I finally knew the reason for elderly people's behaviour. I was happy that I treated my grandmother with care and love. The most emotional part of the movie, I felt it was when Stella met with a car accident and the old grandmother of Stella's was admitted into the hospital. Well, Stella and her mother tries to make money for Stella's dad by singing songs in public(getai), thus they were taking a friend's car to the next venue when their friend spoke too much to them and it swerved into the path of vehicles travelling in the opposite direction. Stella was flung out of the car, and landed on the road. And as for the grandmother... Her sons gradually grew fed up of taking care of her, and they decided to put her into an old folk's home. She entered the gates of the home, and she asked the nurse,"Is this an old folk's home?" The nurse replied,"Madam, this is a happy place for old people." The mother looked around and sees old folks everywhere, she turned around, and saw her son running from her. She cried out for her son,"Ah Hui!" And then she fainted. Well, both Stella and her grandmother are of the same blood type, O-, which is a rare blood type. That night, only 2 bags of blood remained, and the doctor said,"Another set of the blood has been used for another patient." They realised that it was their mother who was the "another patient". The second eldest son's wife fought for the blood, she wanted it for her daughter. The other 2 brothers wanted to save their mother. At this moment, the mother woke up. She heard the commotion. She used her remaining strength to pull out the tube connected to her mouth, which supplies her oxygen. Staring into space, she thought back of the good old times, as she breathed her last. This was one of the most touching moments I have seen.

The grandmother sacrificed her own life, just to save her granddaughter, and to make her children stop fighting. I was very touched. It must have been so painful. I watched it out of boredom last night. But I still remember it as I write now. It was an emotional moment. "Be filial". Yes, it is so simple to say. But when we face a crisis, will we still remain firm? I doubted myself. Will I be able to stand by my mother? If I were the elder son, would I be able to sacrifice my own daughter for my mother, or will it be the other way round? When I grow up, I want to repay what my mother did for me. This morning, my mum woke me up, and made an egg sandwich for me. I looked at it. My mum asked,"Why are you not eating?" I did not say a word. I ate it slowly. I am feeling afraid now, that one day, my mother would grow old. Now I feel that I must cherish every moment with her. I feel that I must cherish the times when my mother wants me to study. Now, I want to grow up to be a capable man who will be wealthy, and be like the eldest son, always working for his mother. I want to make sure I will not make my parents suffer. I feel the eldest son was someone worth admiring. Once, when he came back, his mother said," Wah, Ah Hui, you are back! Have you eaten yet?" and when he replied, his mother said,"Ah Hui, the daughter in law in this show is so cruel!" His mother kept asking him whether he has eaten, due to short term memory. After many times, he told his mother,"Ok! Ok! Mother, I have not eaten! I have not eaten at all!" And his mother replied,"See, I knew you have not eaten." I felt that this eldest son had a rather good sense of humour even when he was annoyed. But the other two sons give the tired and exhausted look when talking to their mother. When the eldest son gained financial freedom, he bought a television set and a television service which provided hokkien drama, all for his mother. His mother even said,"Thanks, son. I never thought I would be able to watch hokkien shows after coming to Singapore." When the eldest son was on the verge of losing his job due to the crisis, he asked his mum,"Mum would you think of me any lesser if I am no longer a manager?" She replied, "You are still my son." The eldest son always had to play the bad guy. The other 2 brother psuhed the job of sending the mother to the old folks' home to the eldest brother. And when the 2 brothers wanted to burn incense to "send their mother to heaven faster", they asked their eldest brother to do it. I want to be like that eldest brother when I grow up, but I don't want to cause the death of my mother. I hope, that I would be able to be spend quality time with my mother for the rest of her life. After watching the movie, I now cherish my mother and father more, and I want to be filial. It seems that after all, this movie was not just wasting 2 hours of my life. I gained great values, within 2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What such thoughtful and good reflections on the movie, Justin! I totally agree with you that Money No Enough is a a good movie about Singaporeans, and this movie depicts normal Singaporeans that are just like you and I. The people in the movie, faces hard topics like filial piety. I remember distinctively in one part of the show, whereby it is reaching the climax of the whole movie. One of the son's daughter just had a car accident and was in the verge of death. She needed a blood transplant. However, her grandmother also needed a blood transplant as she herself was dying too, but there was only one pack of that kind of blood. Hence, there was a dispute on who they should save, and finally, the boys' mother, who was looking at the commotion, decided to sacrifice herself for her granddaughter. This was the most touching part of the movie and the best part too for as it showed a mother's love for her children and grandchildren. Hence, I certainly feel that this is a movie worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reflections done in this have reflected the things in our everyday lives very well. Often, we see people laughing at people in the show for making the wrong decisions, also we see them make mistakes and other things, and laugh at their misery. However, have we questioned ourselves? That is the most common thing that we did not look through. Justin has also properly reflected the story into his own life, and has done reflections on what he wants to do during his life, and I feel that through this reflection, the movie has achieved its main aim by promoting filial piety amongst other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reflection seems like a very detailed summary of the entire movie to me.I agree that this movie is very similar to our lives today. I agree with you that one of the most touching part of the movie was the part where the grandmother pulled the tube supplying oxygen to her which resulted in her death. I feel that the strongest aspect of this movie would be filial piety as it mainly focuses on the 3 sons and their family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reflection is good and detailed and I have also watched the movie "Money No Enough" before and it is really really suitable for Singaporeans and maybe Singaporeans only, because of our mindsets, which are possibly different from other people. The theme for the movie is mostly about "money", "power" and "filial piety". The entire movie was based on money, whether a person is rich which determines his friends and respect for him. Also, as Keith mentioned the sacrifice the elders are willing to make for their younger ones. The scene still touches me, to see someone sacrifice for others. The movie is suppose to be a comedy, but there are very touching and sad scenes, which the director, Jack Neo made it that way, to invoke happiness or emotions from viewers.

    ReplyDelete