Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Neighbourhood








1)In the early evenings, families start to gather at the playground. Caring mothers stand by the slides, worrying about their children's safety. Not far off, 2 adults are sitting beneath a shelter, having a chat. Standing at my doorstep, I close my eyes, I feel the wind blowing onto my face, I hear the rustling leaves.
2)The next morning when I wake up and look around, I see a quiet corner of the neighbourhood, where there are seats, longing for the warmth of Man's presence. Looking from the 4th floor, I admire the pattern and the neatness of the corner. I can smell the freshness of the morning, the fragrance of the flower, I admire the greenery before my eyes.
3)In the evening, as it gets late, as the sky starts to darken, I was about to go back into my house, but then, something in the corner of my eye caught my attention. It was an old man. A balding semi-naked old man stuck his head out of the window, looking downstairs. From where he is, he might not be able to see the playground, but it seems to me that he is staring into blank space, listening to the excited voices and laughter of the children playing at the playground. This picture tells a story of sadness.
4)Looking up, I see an almost symetrical building. Looking at the leaves of each tree carefully, I hardly see any brown or yellow leaves. The paint on the building still looks as fresh as it was 2 years back. From my view, every unit looks the same. But behind the windows of each unit, there is a different family, with a different background, with different types of people, and they each have a different story to tell.
5)From the window of my home, I look out at the path outside, there is hardly any movement, neither is there any sound. I don't see people walking down the path, nor do I feel the movement of the wind. On this Sunday evening, nearly everybody in my neighbourhood are spending time with their family, whether at home, at the playground, or at a shopping mall.
6)At the back of this neighbourhood, there is another playground, with an exercise corner beside it. Just like humans, if a playground is located away from the central, away from where everybody else is, the chances are, that less people would notice it, and fewer people would use the facilities over there. There the benches are, 4 of them to be exact, longing for someone to sit on them, just like how a child wishes for the arrival of Christmas.
7)On my way to run errands for my mum, I happened to pass by this area. The badminton court beside the playground was half-occupied by an old man and his grandchildren. They were playing a fun and cheap sport-Frisbee. The children's parents and grandmother were sitting on benches nearby, clapping their hands, supporting their family members.

This is how my neighbourhood is. There are quiet and lonely parts of the neighbourhood, and there are also more lively parts of it where families gather to have fun together and make merry.

No comments:

Post a Comment